“We are spiritual beings having a human experience” – Pierre Teilhard de Chardin.
You probably have heard this phrase many times, but there is something in this idea that makes us really think about who we are and what we are doing here. Deep down, we know we are part of something much bigger.
I truly believe we are all here to expand our awareness and master our soul towards a constant and permanent status of oneness. In this context, we do our best to have better things, to live a better life, and, above all, to be better.
An essential part of this process is to know who we really are, and what we really want for our lives. As per Bill Gove: “If I want to be free, I’ve got to be me.” This is called SELF-DISCOVERY PROCESS. However, most of us do not take the time for self-reflection. The reasons vary. It goes from being to busy with our daily lives to lack of awareness and/or direction on how to do it.
In this post we want to shine a bit of light on what self-discovery is, what this process involves, and also give you some practical tips and suggestions that can be applied immediately in your life, including SELF-DISCOVERY WORKSHEETS and GUIDE.
Are you ready to start this journey?
First of all we need to understand what “Self-Discovery” means and what it involves.
According to Collins Dictionary Self-discovery is “the process of gaining understanding of oneself and one’s motivations and needs.” Similar concept, can be found when looking at it from a psychologic perspective. For instance, Psychologic Dictionary describe self-discovery as “a process of looking for your own identity. To discover what a one individual has in his personality and what things are there to which a person is likely to be more inclined”, their beliefs, their attitude, their values.
Those definitions make it clear that self-discovery is a process of going within and get to know yourself. Who you are, what are your values, beliefs, attitudes; What is your life purpose; What is your life vision and so on. It is really understand deep inside “how you work” and what you want for your life.
This paper from Universal Coach Institute summarize it all very well. It says: “The most important lessons we can teach ourselves are who we truly are, what we are here to do and how we are to do it. Self Discovery/Awareness provides us with the answers to the basic of questions: Who (the individual – Clarifying Creativity), What (To Do – Mission), When (During our Lifetime – Professing our Purpose), Where (Our environment, be it on a petite or grand scale), Why (The Reason – Purpose & Passion), and How (Our Strengths/Talents – Passion & Validating our Vision).”
This brings us to the next point, why is it important?
Why is Self-Discovery Important?
“You are the most important person in your life and the only one responsible for your growth and therefore your success.”
Self-discovery is a powerful tool to help us in this process of discovering who we are it is essential to our personal growth. This self-knowledge drives the way we leave, the decisions we make in our lives, how we treat others, career we choose, how we react/respond to daily situations, etc. When we truly know ourselves, we make better choices, we are more aligned to our true-self, and when we are more aligned to our true-self, everything goes smoothly. Life gets easier. Ultimately, it helps us to live a more fulfilling and meaningful life.
Who doesn’t want that? A more peaceful and meaningful life, where, doesn’t matter if it is shinning or raining, we are always calm and serene, as we know who we are and where we are going. We know that everything is in divine order.
That is the beauty of self-reflection. Important to note though that this is a journey. It is not something we do once and we are done. It is the opposite, every day we are learning, we are evolving, expanding and growing, but we must be aware and take the time to go within, quiet our soul and listen to our higher-self.
Self-Discovery Process – 5 simple but meaningful steps
OK, beautiful…. but “How should I start?” you might be wondering.
Self-discovery is a personal journey and very peculiar to each one of us. Furthermore, as mentioned before, it is a continues process. Each day we learn more about ourselves and we have the opportunity to make changes in order to live a better life. However, we need to start from somewhere. So don’t worry. I will guide you through 5 simple self-discovery steps.
Step 1 – SELF-DISCOVERY RITUAL:
Make of this practice a ritual. Set aside some time for yourself and relax. Free your mind, and above all, open yourself up to this journey. Below I give you some tips and ideas that I use myself. Take what works for you and use your imagination to create your own ritual.
- First, set enough time for yourself to go through this exercise. A quiet time just for yourself.
- If you want, go to a different place where you feel inspired and energized. It can be a park nearby or a quiet time and place in your own house.
- Then, prepare the atmosphere for it. If you are into candles, crystal….Use them. Use all the resources you have to make yourself feel relaxed and receptive.
- Once you have your scene set, do a short meditation if you want to, or just stay still for a few minutes. Be grateful.
- Now, you are ready to start your Self-discovery Journey. Grab a cup of tea, relax and have fun.
Step 2 – VALUE, PURPOSE, VISION:
In this step you will define what are your values, life purpose and life vision. That’s a critical part of the self-discovery process. It is not easier. You have to really go within and find out what is that for you.
Don’t’ try to get it all “right or perfect” in the first time. It takes a while. As you go through it over and over again, your awareness will increase, and you will be able to improve it till it completely resonates with you.
- Values are things that we believe are really important in our lives, that support your decisions, determine your priorities, give your direction to be a good person, and have a meaningful life (Love, Honesty, Kindness, Fulfillment, Freedom, etc).
- I suggest you choose 4 personal values that really resonate with you.
- Then, in everything, you will do, think about your values, and live by them.
- Spend some time on it. Go within, and trying to find out what is your work, your mission here.
- There are a series of self-discovery questions and exercises that you can go through to find out your purpose. Start with your passions and skills.
- You might not get it all perfect. But don’t worry. You can perfect it when you do this exercise next time.
- Based on your values and purpose, create your life vision.
- Use your imagination and define what you want for your life? What are your big dream and wishes?
- Then, create your vision board. It will help you to have a clear picture of what you want for your life and get more emotionally involved with your goals and dreams.
- The thing here is to have fun while you visualize and internalize what you want to achieve: a new car, a new house, traveling… there is no limit. Use your imagination.
Step 3 – GOAL SETTING
Now that you know more about what is important for you, why you are here, what you want for your life. It is time to get specific – to define your goal.
Goal is what moves us, makes us wake up every morning, and have something to fight for. It is what makes us to grow.
- Based on the vision you have just created for your life, define your goal.
- Write down a few sentences that clearly state what you want to achieve, by when you want to achieve it, and how you will be feeling once you achieved it.
- Then, as you go through your daily life, remember to repeat it as often as you can. Every day you will believe more and more that you are capable of achieving it.
- Commit yourself to do whatever it takes to achieve your goal.
Check out the importance of having goals to have a better understanding about goal setting and how to define goals properly.
Step 4 – POWERFUL MIND
To achieve your goal, you need to analyze your beliefs and habits. Simply putting your paradigms. They prevent us from growing to the next level and achieving our goals.
There are a lot of concepts and techniques behind paradigm shift that you can use to help you to close the gap between where you are now and where you want to be. They are critical part of this process of growing. However, it is not easy to change our paradigms. It requires commitment and discipline, but the effort will pay off.
Step 5 – SELF-IMAGE
Our self-image is nothing else than the beliefs we have about ourselves. They are deeply internalized in our subconscious mind and dictate our behavior. Therefore, to achieve our goals, our beliefs must be aligned with the life we want to live.
To change our self-image we need to change ourselves. This is a daily process that can be done following some tips and exercises, including Mirror Work technique, which is basically praising yourself while looking into your eyes in front of the mirror. Try it out, you will be amazed by the results!
To start this journey all you need is the desire of knowing who you are. Then a simple paper and pen can do the work. Just follow the steps above and leave your mind wandering. Or, if you want to get a bit more inspired, you can get a journal. It helps to give to this exercise a more serious thought plus there are loads of space for you to write down your thoughts on a daily basis. Actually, journaling is really good habit we all should have.
However, if you don’t know where to start; what are the self-discovery questions that you should answer; what are the main self-discovery prompts that you should be guided by; or if you are just like me, that needs some kind of structure and guidance, I truly recommend you to get some sort of Self-Discovery Worksheets or Self-Discovery templates, if you like. They can guide you into this journey of self-discovery and self-contemplation.
Bloomy Self-Discovery is one good example. It is based on my own journey of self-discovery and has being helping many people to start their own journey of self-exploration.
Bloomy Self-Discovery will walk you through this journey of self-contemplation and self-discovery. It will guide you to find the answers you are seeking to live a more fulfilled and peaceful life, aligned with your true self. Check it out. It might resonates with you.
Final Thoughts on Self-Discovery
Each one of us are in a journey of self-discovery, regardless we are aware of that or not. However, when we know the importance of it and we put the effort into it, we grow, we evolve, we expand, therefore, we live a more meaningful and successful live.
Hopefully, this post gave you some insights where/how to start your own journey of self-discovery. Important to emphasize, this is a continues exercise that we should be doing regularly. I review my self-discovery worksheet every single year. Usually, in the end of year when I also do my END YEAR REVIEW. I think it is a great moment to work on them together. As Self Discovery is the base for my End Year Review.
Finally, when doing this exercise, don’t judge yourself or try to be perfect. Be kind to yourself. As you learn more about yourself and expand your awareness, things will become clearer and you will have the opportunity to re-evaluate yourself and go even deeper into this exercise next time. After all, live is a journey of self-discovery and that is the reason why we are here.
I would love hear from your about your own journey of self-discovery. Leave a comment below.